Confession time: I’ve been out of the gym pretty consistently since early November.
2014 was a bad year for me health-wise, but also a year I made major strides toward a healthier body. It was a very confusing time. A previous boss put it best in my Christmas card when she said, “I hear you’re sick. It always happens when you’re attempting to get healthy.”
I’ve had some stomach/bile duct/gallbladder problems which have made it difficult to eat, therefor difficult to fuel my body, and in turn impossible to go to the gym. The doctors have run multiple tests and thrown a handful of new meds at me, but still no answers. I’ve been able to work some protein back into my diet though, so I’m working my way back into the gym.
I work out at 24 Hour Fitness, and take advantage of the Group X classes they offer (free with membership), as having an instructor-led class keeps me from taking breaks when I want one (rather than when I NEED one), and helps push me harder than I would push myself.
I work out with Ashley at Le Stylo Rouge, and we alternate between two workout schedules, an early week and a late week (all one-hour workouts).
Monday — Les Mills BodyCombat (video)
Tuesday — Les Mills BodyPump (video)
Wednesday — Les Mills BodyCombat or BodyAttack (video)
Thursday — Les Mills BodyPump
Saturday — Treadmill or elliptical, depending on my mood.
Monday — Les Mills BodyPump/CXWorx (video)
Tuesday — Les Mills BodyCombat
Wednesday — Les Mills BodyPump/CXWorx (split into 30 minutes Pump, 30 minutes CXWorx)
Thursday — Les Mills BodyPump
BodyCombat is probably my favorite class to take. It’s really intense (especially right now, since my cardio stamina is completely gone) but it is really worth it, and the instructors offer plenty of modifications throughout the class, if you need a lower-impact option.
BodyPump is one I have a love/hate relationship with — I love the way it has toned some muscles I’ve never been able to see on my body before, but hate doing the class. That’s not true, I don’t mind the class as a whole, I HATE squats and lunges. My body hates them too, they make me dizzy and it’s weird. Someday I’ll be able to make it through a squat track without a break and it’ll be amazing.
BodyAttack will surprise you. Just reading the description it sounds like it is going to be a pretty tame workout, but you get into the class and HOLY COW! It is not a tame workout. I should’ve guessed something with Attack in the name wasn’t going to be as easy as it sounded. Full-on assault on the whole body. Harder for me than any of the other classes I’ve taken.
CXWorx is fun, but difficult. It is a core training workout, and as someone who spent ages 14-30 as a couch potato, that isn’t something I have much experience with. It has definitely helped improve my strength, but it is still a struggle for me.
The Blogger Collective is challenging its members to talk about their goals in January. And mine are probably a little silly and obvious, but they’re things I need to work on and toward nonetheless, so here goes:
- Post more often and on a set schedule. I currently just post haphazardly — whenever I feel like it. I need to set up a schedule and actually follow it in order to keep myself accountable and this blog active.
- Use more pictures. This blog is not visually stimulating at all. You visit and are simply hit with a wall of words, boring. There are some posts I am planning where I know adding photos will work well, but some I’m clueless on how to do so, but I know I want to include more.
- Expand my connection. I’m learning as I go, but I want to expand my connections to include bloggers who I don’t know personally. I love seeing comments and interaction from those I know, but I would love to also meet some new people.
- Keep up my hard work. I’ve come a LONG way since I started this blog, and the journey started long before I began keeping track of it here. I have had a few setbacks, but with the support of my friends I’ve pushed through and kept at it. This is a constant, long-term goal.
- Try new workouts. While I’m happy with my current workout routine, it can never hurt to try new things and expand my knowledge. Last year I worked with a personal trainer and found out that wasn’t for me. I also attended a class at The Bar Method with Jess from 26 and Not Counting. It was so much fun and really challenged me. I want to try more new things like that.
Extra long post for me today! Hope you all have a great Thursday!